Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gary Hill Documentary

I really enjoyed this documentary and his work for the most part. The way in which he utilizes language to create double meanings and rhythmic tones in his work is really interesting both aesthetically and conceptually. I really enjoyed the first video that was shown for the reason that a rhythm was created by the reverberations of his voice which was creating an almost frantic mood in the piece. The way in which he explained it also made the video much more engaging in my opinion; he said that in creating this video he wanted “not sound, not light, not image but a new kind of texture.” Another one that I found particularly engaging was the one in which five frames were placed next to each other on the wall; each frame was playing for an equal amount of time but the flipping between the screens made time lapse in a rhythmic fashion, where even the noise within the piece became mesmerizing. The space in which this piece was placed made it mesmerizing as was the lapsed experience of time. My favorite piece of his is Mediations. I think the integration of sound and image being controlled by his voice is beautiful. The reverberations of sound seen through the sand is such a strong image that speaks to his use of language in his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment