Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Memoryscape Reading

   I personally have listened to several audio recordings while walking through trails because my family and I camped and traveled to historical places a lot while I was growing up. I always found them very interesting and intriguing. I also have done an audio walk through bluetooth on my phone while I was in Spain over the summer, it was truly awesome. The uprising technological concept of including GPS is games so that you can see where the people you are playing with/against is ingenious. This goes allow with the soon production of this devices being able to take your heart rate, which is very important to many.
   In the past, certain sounds meant certain things were to happen (such as the ball) and for the most part, this is still true today. Aldous Huxley said that in this century we have covered "physical noise, mental noise and noise of desire". I agree with this statement and that the sounds we hear today are in either one of those categories. Sometimes we know what a sound is exactly and other times we can predict what we want from the sounds we hear. I would love to do as Russolo says and walk with my ears instead of my eyes. I feel that I don't appreciate natural sounds or pay attention to the sounds around me. Janet Cardiff's "Louisanna Walk#14" sounds really interesting and i really like the concept of walking through a garden. It seems very relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment